The Pacific Health Unit
Talofa Lava, Malo e Lelei, Bula Vinaka, Fakalofa lai atu, Malo Ni, Kia Orana, Halo olgeta and warm Pacific greetings.
The Pacific Health Unit exists to support and advocate for our Pacific patients and their fanau as they navigate the hospital system as inpatients, as well as ensuring they are referred to the appropriate primary health care services when they are discharged from the hospital. We work to ensure a seamless journey for our Pacific patients and their fanau during their time in hospital and the care they receive is appropriate, fanau centred and timely.
Who are we?
- Tofa Suafole Gush (MPP), Director Pacific Health (Wairarapa & Hutt Valley DHBs) (04) 570 9367 or Mobile 027 8395 9934
- Fara Leasuasu (NZREN), Pacific Health Facilitator (04) 570 9957 Mobile 027 4875 714)
- Otila Tefono (RN), Team Leader (04) 570 9770 Mobile 027 5112 515
- Candice Apelu Mariner (MHM)– Integration Lead (04) 570 9247 Mobile 027 742 6129.
What do we do in the hospital?
- Cultural support and advocacy
- Interpretation of clinical information to ensure patients understand their treatment and care, including discharge planning in hospital
- Link to appropriate hospital services and also community health providers for ease of “continuum of care” for patients
- Support and advice on any follow up appointments or procedures patients need
- Provide cultural advice to clinicians
- Advocate for appropriate Pacific models of care for the holistic care of our Pacific patients.
What we do across the Health System
- Provide high level advice and leadership on Pacific health issues across the Hutt Valley and Wairarapa DHBs
- Partner with relevant Pacific and mainstream health providers to provide best care and a health system that works for our communities
- Partner with Pacific communities and ensure their voices are included in all health planning.
Read The Pacific Health Action Plan
Who can refer to our services?
- Hospital services and clinicians
- Pacific families
Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm