Hutt Valley DHB Consumer Council
The Hutt Valley District Health Board created its first Consumer Council in 2019. It is a group of people with diverse experiences, backgrounds and knowledge to give advice to our Board and leadership team. This council’s is to make sure our patients, whānau and communities have a strong voice in planning, designing, and delivering great services across the Hutt Valley.
The council is comprised of people who:
are passionate about improving our health services to be focused on the needs of patients and whānau;
have experience of Hutt Valley health services;
can voice what’s important to them when using health services;
can bring their experience as part of a wider group, such as an ethnic or cultural group or a health support group.
The Consumer Council’s collective process is able to provide the DHB with a shared-view consumer representative response.
Consumer Council: Draft Terms of Reference - click here
The terms of reference specifically exclude the Council from:
- clinical evaluations of health services
- discussion or review of issues that should be handled as formal complaints
- involvement in Hutt Valley DHB contracting processes
The Consumer Council:
- supports Hutt Valley DHB provide health services that achieve the best outcomes for our people;
- recognises that service delivery needs to change to meet the needs of the growing and changing needs within our community;
- is committed to the people who use the services having confidence that their needs will be met;
- provides an advocating role to Hutt Valley DHB planning and services from the perspective of the most vulnerable people in our community – people who need to access the services of Hutt Valley DHB
The Consumer council’s role is evolving as the Hutt Valley DHB evolves its services to improve access to health services in our community.
The Consumer Council is working to:
- progress Hutt Valley DHB’s planned work through undertaking focused in-depth work to advance the consumer perspective, and
- provide a ready response to Hutt Valley DHB’s evolving service improvements that require consumer perspective on changes
You can contact the Consumer Council by email: Consumercouncil@huttvalleydhb.org.nz
Hutt Valley DHB Consumer Council members